I think I may be the only one who watched 8 Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter, but it was brought to mind today while thinking about rules for watching my son.
This past weekend my in-laws watched my son and I was pretty upset about some of the going ons while I was away. They weren’t big deal items but compiled together they made me realize that I need to have a better set of rules and guidelines before I let someone else watch him. So here they are 8 simple rules for watching my infant son:
- Watching my son is a privilege not a chore and if you feel differently please don’t watch him, I’ll find someone else.-I know super corny and cheesy but it’s true. I have a really hard time leaving my son because I enjoy being with him so much and if whoever is watching him doesn’t feel the same, then I would much rather stay home
- Don’t leave my house a mess. When I come home my son wants to eat since he isn’t a huge fan of bottles, so the last thing I want to have to do is clean my house on top of cluster feeding my son for a few hours.
- Don’t mess with my electronics-I’m a tech nerd and I have everything just right so when I came home on Saturday to a green tv and echoing sound, I was a little more than upset. If you don’t know how to work something-ask and I’ll be happy to show you which leads me to my next point
- No screen time for little man-tv is not good for babies and if you can’t watch my son without the tv being on see rule #1
- Don’t have people over. Watching my son is not a party and in order to watch him properly you can’t be having a bunch of people over. I don’t care if the queen of england called and would like to stop by, it’s not ok unless you ask and we give the ok.
- No food-yes we are doing BLW, yes babies look super cute making messes, but BLW is new to everyone and thus I only feel comfortable with it when I’m around, he’s 5 months old he doesn’t need solids, he’s just fine with milk.
- If he’s crying call me-I would much rather leave in the middle of dinner than come home to learn my son was crying at any point. I’m really lucky my son doesn’t really cry ever so when he does it’s a big deal and it means he’s pretty upset about something. Obviously if he’s 3 years old this is a little ridiculous but he’s an infant and sometimes he just needs mom.
- Have fun-he’s cute, he makes funny noises and he’s my everything, so remember that
I’m sure you are probably thinking at this point, wow she’s that parent, and maybe I am, but I’m also doing what I think is right for my son and I would never fault a mom who is doing what she thinks is right for her child.